Topband: R-390 rcvrs.....

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: R-390 rcvrs.....
From: billandjosi@earthlink.net (billandjosi)
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 06:33:24 -0700
There are actually TWO models of R-390s...one made by Collins, and the =
other, I'm not sure.  One fella that KNOWS  R-390's is   K 7 L F   =
....you might ask him.

In 1959 I was in the crew that installed 390's in the Radio Central of =
USCGC  NORTHWIND, an icebreaker home ported in Seattle.  We had just =
finished the physical install when we got underweigh and moved across =
Elliott bay to a shipyard. The Radio Ops  set at a typical Watch section =
[for underweigh practice] with their main comm center  NMW, located  =
about 125 miles to the South-West.  They were complaining that comms =
with NMW  were lousy..and in fact, they WERE.  When we got to the yard, =
I looked things over.  NOT ONE RECEIVER HAD A  COAX  HOOKED TO IT'S =
INPUT....... That is a sensitive receiver..

I've been stationed with the Collins 51J4...the "offical" Collins =
version of the '390.  In my opinion, the J4 is not nearly as rugged and =
'functional' as the  390...

Check with Fred...he has several of each...

73   "DM"           N 7 D M

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---