Topband: Ionospheric and geophysical data versus 160mpropagation conditi

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Ionospheric and geophysical data versus 160mpropagation conditions
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 07:19:16 +0800
At 09:54 PM 9/07/2002 +0100, you wrote:

PY2CW wrote:

>Hi folks
>                Is there any correlation between top band propagation
conditions
>versus solar activity, ionospheric conditions, geophysical activity, etc???
>Presently, we have a lot of information such as real time solar flux
indices etc. available in the web. Which are the most relevant to be
watched to the objective of "go to the shack" looking for "openings" in top
band???
>Who made an statistical analysis comparing better 160 propag. cndx
>versus those indices? Back in the seventies i tried to correlate WWV
>data to my log (as pt2fru). I remember very well when qso'd in phone with
100W many dx stations during a "geomagnetic storm", but was the only
opportunity and this is not statistically "safe".

VK6VZ replied:

G'day

Those who want the inside track on low-band (especially 160m) would do well
to get a copy of 'The Big Gun's Guide by Low-Band Propagation' by Bob
Brown, NM7M.  Bob devotes a chapter of his book to predicting propagation,
including what he refers to as "nowcasting".

The book is quite technical, but should give no one who did OK in physics
at high school any problems and really gives the whole picture.

If you want details of how to obtain the book, please e-mail Bob at:
bobnm7m@cnw.com

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ