Topband: Re: Topband digest, Vol 1 #328 - 3 msgs

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Topband digest, Vol 1 #328 - 3 msgs
From: n4gg@hotmail.com (Hal Kennedy)
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 21:49:17 -0400
Ken,

The PT-2 is a reasonably good preamp for 1.8, I have used mine for years.
It requires a little mod or two however, to keep stray noise out.  When I
first started using mine, I was picking up an extra 2 S-units of noise,
which I finally traced to ingress of noise on the preamps AC line cord.
Opening the unit up revealed the problems (poor routing of the input/output
connector wires right next to the line cord).
1)  Replace the internal I/O wires with coax.
2)  Wrap the line cord a few turns onto a high mu toroidal core, to make a
common mode choke at the outside of the box, just as the AC line cord enters
the back.

A good preamp after the mods --
73,
Hal