Topband: ET3PMW and 7X0DX

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ET3PMW and 7X0DX
From: Bob Garrett" <rgarrett@sunlink.net (Bob Garrett)
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 11:52:08 -0400
Hello Topbanders,

Just an observation from someone who has been QRV on 160 meters since 1982
and worked a few countries along the way.

I believe we would all agree after these two operations that the key to
success to working DX on our beloved band is persistence.  ET3PMW and 7X0DX
both are or were running 100 watts and at best, very run of the mill
antennas.  Because of their daily activity, both worked many of us for new
ones on the band.  This morning, 7X0DX was peaking an honest 599 right
before his sunrise here on the East Coast of USA.  He worked everyone who
called and even a few in 9 land.  You all are familiar with Paul's operation
from the updates from Bill W4ZV so I won't repeat his story and his success
with just 100 watts.

So, my maybe not so striking observation is that in order of importance to
achiving success on the band: 1.  being QRV. 2.  RX capability. 3.  Output
power.  Don't get me wrong, a KW never hurts especially under marginal
conditions but, let's not discourage potential low band OPS from working 160
meters even with small antennas and 100 watts.

Thanks to ET3PMW and 7X0DX for your persistence and for giving many of us
new ones on Topband.

73,
Bob K3UL