Topband: Feeding rotating towers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Feeding rotating towers
From: K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com (K9AY)
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 17:53:25 -0400
> I'm looking into putting up 110' of Rohn 55G (guyed at two levels per spec)
> and rotating the tower.  The trouble is, this is going to be my 160 antenna.
> What's the hot setup for feeding a rotating tower?
>
> Ford-N0FP
--------
I've heard of a couple installations with wire antennas hung from the stationary
ring of the bearing, so they don't move with the tower. This would work for a
shunt feed or skirt wire, with a loop of wire or braid at the top of the shunt
wire, much like a coax loop for a rotating mast.

Of course, if the other antennas on the tower are not above the top of the shunt
feed, they will get tangled in the non-rotating shunt wires!

An alternate is a shunt feed attached to the tower, going from ground level up
to the first bearing, with the "rotator loop" at the bottom.

Good luck!

Gary, K9AY