Topband: inveted L 3/8

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: inveted L 3/8
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 21:45:41 -0400
> shows a perfect ground system with the 1/4.  I always thought the
> angle would go down until the antenna lenght would reach 5/8 wave and
> then go back up. I would think that still would work on bent vertical
> antennas from 1/4 up to 5/8 wave.  Anyway back when chasing DX on 160
> was tough in the 60s and 70s loran and power limits of about 100 watts
> out. the longer inverted Ls were outdoing the bent 1/4 verticals.
> talk to some of the old timers on this.

While almost anything will radiate...with a short vertical section
Inverted L making the antenna longer decreases the useful low-angle
radiation. It also does not necessarily decrease ground losses enough
to overcome the reduction in useful low angle radiation.

The optimum loading for an Inverted L (for DX) would place maximum
current somewhere near the middle of the vertical section, not at the
top or bottom. That way the ampere/feet of the vertical section is
highest, and radiation resistance (by IRE definition, not feedpoint
resistance) is highest.

A true vertical is different, and does have a lower wave angle as
height is increased up to about .6WL. However, it is NOT the lowest
takeoff angle that is important. It is the maximum field strength at
low angles that an antenna provides that matters most in most
cases.73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com