Topband: Power line noise on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Power line noise on 160
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 02:02:59 -0500
I've been working with the local power company on reducing my noise on 160m.
They sent an "expert" on the subject with all of his noise sniffing toys.
No conclusions yet but want to present a solution to the problem and wanted
to run by the gurus that haunt this list first...

The transmission line causing the problem runs past the QTH and connects the
two towns nearby, about 6 miles apart.  I'm right in the middle.  The whole
line is noisy.  You drive down the road and you can hear it on AM everywhere
with peaks around certain faulty insulators along the line, in some cases
many miles from here.

My proposal?  Use a series of clamp-on ferrite beads (type 43?) along the
line to slow down the propagation of faulty insulator noise located along
the line.  The line is 3 phase about 1/2" diameter each line.  What do you
think?  Would it reduce my noise locally?  The power company has admitted
that many of the insulators are faulty because they too hear the peaks at
certain poles.  They are upset because replacing the insulators are very
expensive and a temporary fix at best.  These would run about $1 each and
could be placed on a "hot" line, which is their other complaint--turning off
the line just to test noise levels.  I'd even offer to pay for the first 1-2
hundred of the little devils if they will sprinkle them along the line near
my QTH.

Ford-NØFP
ford@cmgate.com