Topband: Noise, DSP and Receivers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Noise, DSP and Receivers
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 20:40:52 -0400
> 2)  Computer DSP can only impact Gaussian noise, not
> impulse noise.  So it doesn't work well with receiver
> NR schemes.  In general, the reason for this is, DSP
> samples signals over some sample period, and determines
> how to treat the NEXT signal event when it arrives.
>  If that NEXT signal is significantly different
> from the preceeding events, the treatment will be inappropriate.

DSP can work very well with impulse noise, just as well as a
conventional blanker system, if bandwidth of the system before the
DSP processing is wide and does not overload.

The same is true with any impulse noise blanker. They all need
considerable bandwidth before the blanker.

Most rigs do not provide sufficient bandwidth to allow impulse
blanking through DSP systems because they use filters narrower than
ten or so kHz bandwidth before the DSP systems. Even a 6kHz bandwidth
can degrade impulse noise removal.

The major problem with blanking lightning is that lightning crashes
are not impulse noise. They are a broadband noise with random steps,
peaks, and valleys. They also, unfortunately, last a long time
compared  the tick of an ignition pulse or pulse from a power line
arc. There really isn't a reasonably simple and effective way to
remove lightning, other than antenna directivity or nulling the
noise.

Unlike low average power high peak power noise like ignitions and the
power lines, the duration of each lightning noise "crash" is so
long that average energy is very high and smothers the desired
signals. If we disable or blank the receiver during the pulse, we are
left with no noise *and* no signal.

That's why the brain and no AGC or very fast AGC works so well
compared to other systems. There are some computer programs that are
supposed to work pretty well also, but as far as I know they require
stereo (phase locked) receivers, wide bandwidth, and complex software
and processing systems.73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com