Topband: Horizontal vs Vertical Radiators

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Horizontal vs Vertical Radiators
From: K1ZM@aol.com (K1ZM@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 10:38:55 EDT
Hi Guys

Been reading this stuff.......

One thing I learned several years ago is that having Multiple XMIT antennas
on Topband (some horizontally polarized and some vertically polarized) can be
very important under certain propagation conditions.

Bob, NM7M, also made an excellent point, I thought, earlier in this
discussion when he noted the success of the Battle Creek Special and other
inverted L type (BENT) verltical/horizontal radiators.  These simple
radiators combining elements of both polarization types do seem to work quite
well from various locations around the world - whether they be high or low
lattitude spots.  (I myself recently made up a wire version of the BCS using
homemade coaxial traps - and I keep it at the ready for the sudden, perhaps
unplanned Dx-pedition that may come up... because I know it will work from
most anywhere I may visit.)

The best xmit antenna arsenal to have is one that is FLEXIBLE - as 160M
propagation can change quite rapidly around sunrise and even from day to day
during stormy solar condx.

I've seen a high dipole absolutely trash a multi-vertical array on short hops
into the Caribbean - and the same antenna be almost a "dummy load" into other
spots - within a matter of hours.

It's what adds to the mystique of Topband........in the END we must all
choose what works for US - based upon our specific location - and, while I
have yet to experience what VK6VZ has seen from W.A. myself, I have no doubt
whatsoever that his observations validate his use of horizontal radiators on
his side.

In the end, we all use what WORKS - even if we always do not know exactly why
it may work that way.  And, you cannot argue with the success that Steve has
managed from a really tough, remote location on this planet of ours.

73

JEFF

K1ZM@aol.com

K1ZM@aol.com