Topband: Topband Angle changes at sunrise/sunset

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Topband Angle changes at sunrise/sunset
From: k6se@juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 18:46:07 -0700
Bob, NM7M wrote:

"At sunrise, ionospheric layers are tilted downward or lowered as the sun
rises, refracting signals downward at steeper angles, while at sunset
layers are raised slightly as the sun sets, with little effect on
angles."
In which direction is the downward tilt at sunrise -- east or west?
Logic tells me that the downward tilt would be to the east (the direction
of the sun), meaning the first hop distance would be greater for a
high-angle signal, but with little (if any) effect for a low-angle
signal, yet I normally see enhancement of received signals west of my
longitude at sunrise with my vertical antenna.   Or am I all wet?
.
73, de Earl, K6SE