Topband: Line Noise Problems

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Line Noise Problems
From: chas.shaw@verizon.net (Charles W. Shaw)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:31:04 +0000
K2WH wrote:

 >The feeders are acting like an antenna so, coming close to >any pole or
drop line, you will find a strong signal.
        and:
 >I quite quickly found the source and had it fixed.  I was >amazed the
problem was so far from the house.

        Adding to this, when I lived in Texas I had a similar problem.  The
power
leak was NOT on the same power company's lines that served our house and
the rest of the town.
        We were near the edge of town (maybe 10 blocks) and beginning at the
city
limits another power company had lines that ran parallel to our company's
line--away from the town and on the opposite side of the road.
        The fault was a major arc in their high voltage service to a
transformer
which served only one oil well pump.  The pump was on a timer which was on
only for relatively short times.  The well was about 2-1/2 miles from my
house.
        This was a bear to track down.  A friend of mine kept the burned
hardware
for show-and-tell!

Charles - N5UL
Hobbs, NM