Topband: Radial wire

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Radial wire
From: herbs@vitelcom.net (Herb Schoenbohm)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 22:33:14 +0000
Larry,

I have seen 5000 foot spools of French field telephone wire advertised in the
Fair Radio Sales catalog. (http://www.fairradio.com)  I don't recall if it is
double of single conductor.  I believe it is #18 copper clad steel and good
tensile strength.

It may be a shocker to some but AM radio stations in Puerto Rico, after losing
expensive radial systems to copper salvagers and fishermen who use the good #12
copper to construct wooden fish traps, have replace their radial systems with
inexpensive barbed wire. It may not last in the ground as long as copper but it
sure beats it on price.

Herb Schoenbohm (ex-KV4FZ)