Topband: Reactance problem

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Reactance problem
From: kimba@sprint.ca (Bert Barry)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:52:31 -0500
W2pm@aol.com wrote:

> I don't suggest this is the issue here but I have found after extensive work
> with it that the MFJ259B is quite sensitive to BC band and/or any other
> "strong RF" coming in off the antenna in question. I do not live particularly
> close to BC stations but was getting strange and inexplicable readings on my
> Inv L and other topband antennas. Then I bought the tunable filter device
> they sell and all readings fell into expected or likely boundaries.
> ___

I think this answer is the only one that makes any sense.  I have the same
problem using an Autek - the reactance can't be reduced to zero with any
setting of the series capacitor tuning my shunt fed vertical, even though it
has plenty of range to do so. The reactance comes down to a minimum, then
rises again as I vary the vacuum variable. The only explanation that makes any
sense to me is pick-up of BC station(s). I plan to repeat the measurements
using a good old fashioned GR bridge, bu haven't go around to it yet.  I'm
betting this will give sensible results.

Bert, VE3QAA