Topband: Number of radials - elevated vs grounded

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Number of radials - elevated vs grounded
From: n5ia@zia-connection.com (Milt Jensen)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 02:41:50 +0000
Don.  In late 1965 and early 1966 I completed my 160 M version of your VHF
groundplane antenna.  The insulated base is 1/8 WL above ground level and
the insulated radials (connected only to the feedline shield) are a quantity
of four.   Each radial is comprised of 4, #12 solid copperweld wires spaced
in a one foot square cage, sloping slightly downward from the vertical
element (125' of Rohn 25) and terminating at the top of 55' wooden poles.
My lot is not square, so the radials are slightly in the "X" configuration.
The whole thing looks like the 1/4 WL Two Meter groundplane expanded 80
times.  The feedpoint impedance and the tuning is textbook.  Performance is
superb.  GL with your ideas.

73 de Milt, N5IA