Topband: Noisy dimmer switches and RFI

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Noisy dimmer switches and RFI
From: petrich@u.washington.edu (John Petrich)
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 19:34:42 +0000
Topbanders,

    I have been following this thread with interest.  Appreciate the input
from everyone.  I have learned a lot.

    We have a number of the Lutron 600 series dimmers at our house and we
are very satisfied with the product.  They advertise "RFI" protective
circuitry.  However, some of their dimmers make noise on 80 meters and
others don't.  The loads are approximatly the same for each.  I too could
tell when the wife is in the kitchen.  Took me awhile to connect the rise in
QRN with the rest of the family waking up in the morning.

    My solution has been the simple one: bypassing the input and output
leads to the neutral wire with 0.005 mf HV disc ceramics.  Fixed all the
problems.  Added the bypasses to the non-noisy dimmers, "just in case".  The
lesson for me is not to rely on the manufacturers claims and to apply
conservative measures.  If I had a noisy non-Lutron dimmer, I'd bypass the
dimmer leads as a first approach before I'd go to the trouble and expense to
replace it.  You might have to install bypasses anyway.  If I were to
install a Lutron, I'd still bypass it.

Regards,

John Petrich, W7FU