Topband: TEN-TEC IS LISTENING!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: TEN-TEC IS LISTENING!
From: k3ky@erols.com (k3ky@erols.com)
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 04:45:08 -0500
On 8 Mar 2002 at 1:50, Barry N1EU wrote:

> Doug, you didn't even mention the provision for diversity reception
> through two receive antennas!
>
> http://www.tentec.com/TT565.htm

A very impressive list of features on the website. One thing I
noticed immediately is that they are using both crystal and
DSP IFfiltering in the main rx, but only IF DSP in the sub-rx.
I think a sub-rx ought to perform as well as the main-rx.
I would feel a lot safer buying a radio that adds some crystal
filtering closer to the front end. Who knows- maybe 32 bit
dual-processors will make a difference here. I certainly would
like to see Ten Tec succeed with this radio- but I almost
stopped reading when I ran into the sub-rx DSP-only remarks.
To date, DSP-only receivers have developed a reputation for
not being up to the task of large dynamic range environments-
like DX contests, and competitive weak-signal  DXing.
73, David K3KY