Topband: Re: DX Pileup Practices

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: DX Pileup Practices
From: k8mn@earthlink.net (Dave Heil)
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 13:03:35 +0000
Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX (by way of Bill Tippett ) wrote:

> I've never seen the reason to operate "split frequency" unless the country's
> band plan does not allow a station to operate on a desired frequency used by
> another country.  To this end, for the life of me, I see no reason for a DX
> station to transmit on one frequency, listen on another and have a bunch of
> folks that didn't hear the frequency change transmission clutter up the band
> calling blindly on 2 or 3 different frequencies.

This is really an easy one from a couple of standpoints:

The DXer realizes that his signal is weak compared to the hordes
calling.  In light of the increased numbers of callers brought by packet
spots, this is evern more understandable. He understands that HIS signal
is apt to be covered up by those stations. Since many callers have
adopted the "call until doomsday" technique, the DX is much less likely
to complete a QSO within a reasonable period of time.

>  In this basic example some
> 4 or more frequencies are rendered totally useless.  What's the point?

The point is always the same:  to spread out the pile so that the DX op
is more likely to pull a call out of that mass of noise.  You only have
to hear HIS signal.  He has to filter yours through large numbers of
other callers, some of whom have their transmitters constantly engaged
at the expense of their ability to hear him.

> These
> are frequencies that could be used by other stations to make DX contacts
> too.  Aren't we shooting ourselves in the foot so to speak?

No, we're attempting to make the pileup more efficient and to work the
maximum number of stations in a given period of time.  In some
latitudes, that window of opportunity can slam shut very quickly.  The
DX op may grow weary of getting up well before dawn for mornings on end
in order to be able to log just a few QSOs even though he hears a swarm
of callers.

> My experience when operating outside of the USA and thus creating a small
> pile up, I took the call that I copied completely, worked him and went to
> the next one, worked him and etc.

That's pretty much what one does when firing up for a casual evening of
operating.  What do you do when you operate outside the U.S. and
generate a large pileup?

> It boils down to this, I didn't work and
> won't work a partial call.  If they copy me and I copy them, and it doesn't
> have to be a 20 over 9 signal, it's a legal contact.  Partial calls won't
> make for legal contacts.

Actually, there is nothing *illegal* about logging a partial call.  It
certainly doesn't make for an *illegal* QSO--just an incomplete one.

> I really think we need to carefully review our DX operating practice.
> After all, it's only a hobby.

Those two statements appear to be 180 degrees out of phase with each
other.  What we need to do is listen to what the DX op wants.  If it
appears at odds with your personal operating ethics, don't call him.
If you'd like to be in his logs, follow his instructions and observe
what he is doing.  What we really need is some restraint on the part of
callers when the DX station comes back to someone rather than a
continuation of this mindless calling, calling and calling.

Dave Heil K8MN
Cameron, WV
near, but not in the middle of nowhere