Topband: The skew path and the not so skewed path

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: The skew path and the not so skewed path
From: n4uk@mindspring.com (n4uk@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 08:25:50 -0500
           Something I have come to realize on 160 meters from Northwest South
Carolina is how valuable the skewed path is to me.
The past couple of weeks, and most noticeably during the CQ 160 SSB contest, I
noticed that anytime Europe is being heard better on my 80 degree beverage
versus my 40 degree beverage that the odds of me working the DX are increased
quite a bit. The competition during these openings is much less and the signals
and signal to noise ratio is much better. When the DX peaks on the 40 degree
beverage all those doggone W1, W2, and W3 stations are in abundance calling the
DX and my odds of working the DX diminish. Last night was another example. I
worked 5B4ADA but only after waiting in line after an abundance of W1s and W2s
worked him. The OD5 was good copy, not extremely loud, but good nonetheless. He
was much stronger on the 40 degree beverage versus the 80 degree bev.
Unfortunately I couldn't make it past the Northeast hordes. Last weekend during
the 160 contest Europe was much better on the 80 degree beverage on both nights
and I had no problems working stuff and little pileup to!
 fight. This skewed path really is a great equalizer. I hope I see much more of
it!
73, Ken N4UK