Topband: Sub-band for split operation mirroring the DX window?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Sub-band for split operation mirroring the DX window?
From: richard@karlquist.com (Richard Karlquist)
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:34:11 -0800
Just thinking out loud here, I wonder if it
would make sense to have DX stations operate
from 1830 to 1840 or whatever and listen
exactly 100 kHz above their transmitting
frequency (ie 1930 to 1940).  The band plan
could be amended to make a split window that
would mirror the DX window.  If the ragchewers
were prewarned to stay out of this window,
perhaps everyone could get along.  In any event,
if this plan were in effect, once a contest
got going, the window would be filled with
strong signals and no ragchew QSO's would
start up.  Conceivably, this window could become
a "combat zone" with US stations working different
DX stations QRM'ing each other, which is the reason
for the 100 kHz frequency split convention.
This way, two pileups would only QRM each other
if the DX stations were also QRM'ing each other.
Another advantage of this would be that the
DX operator wouldn't have to continually
give his QSX, other than "up 100."
There are probably flaws in the details of
this that I haven't thought of, but I am
at least trying to think outside the box about
this problem.

Rick Karlquist    N6RK
richard@karlquist.com
www.n6rk.com