Topband: Conditions on 160m last night

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Conditions on 160m last night
From: wa4tt@nlamerica.com (John Vickers)
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 17:01:59 -0500
Ken N4UK wrote:

In the first night of the CQ SSB contest I have worked 28 different
countries with the majority of them European. On the other hand, my qso
totals overall are poor versus last year and ver!
>su!
>s others also in the contest. My new and improved 1/4wl vertical does not
appear to be working well for USA contacts as I have spent lots of time
CQing and CQing with not many takers from USA. Maybe conditions were making
this happen?  I may need a low inverted Vee for closer in stuff......
>73, Ken, N4UK

Hi Ken es all,
Your signal is loud into Ga so the vertical should be fine. I believe the
qso total may be off because you spent a lot of time CQing below 1843. I
decided a few months ago to not work any USA stations using ssb below 43,
nor any DX not listening up band. I think there are many 160 ops that feel
the same way as I. The band was messy at times last night with some hard
head policemen and contesters.

I prefer my way of handling this situation--- will listen again tonight and
then give a Q to the US stations not heard this weekend below 43 if they
want it.

This refusal to abide by the plan has the potential to hurt contesting on
all bands. There is a growing sentiment against  contest and this aspect of
the hobby may need all the support it can get in the future--- even from us
160m CW ops.
Gud luck es 73, John WA4TT