Topband: Beacons

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beacons
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 07:14:37 -0500
> I'm hearing two beacons I have not heard in the past on 160 this
> evening. On 1.960 is "DNA".  About 1.962 is "EUR".
>
> I've heard about various fishing beacons, but have never heard one.
> Have I now?

You can look up the callsigns at:

http://www.airnav.com/navaids/

Three letter identifiers, or the negative images of three letter
identifiers, are airport non-directional beacons from below the
broadcast band. We probably should report any that we hear and
positively identify to the FCC, because they are likely causing
other problems closer to the transmitter.

There is an inherent design deficiency in the transmitters
manufactured by some companies. Even though they are low
power (typically 25 watts), the 4th and higher harmonics can be
heard for thousands of miles at times.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com