Topband: Shunt feed on a budget

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Shunt feed on a budget
From: rgraves@uvic.ca (Roger Graves)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 10:22:46 -0700
Re. alternatives to vacuum variables.
For my shunt feed system, I used an ordinary variable cap to tune
the feed with qrp and swr meter, then measured the capacitance. I
dug out the freshman college physics text and found the formula for
capacitance of two parallel plates and designed a capacitor for that
capacitance that is about 6 X 18 inches of alum sheet, spaced
about 5/16 inch. It is supported on plexi strips with SS bolts that
allow tuning by adjusting the spacing. It has been in place for years
with no problems.
73,
Rod VE7VV