Topband: Re: [160m] FCC Filing for narrow mode segment

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: [160m] FCC Filing for narrow mode segment
From: aa4nu@ix.netcom.com (Billy Cox)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 00:18:52 -0600
Well, I've now filed my comments TO SUPPORT the adoption of
the proposed RM ... Overall I feel that this is a move in the right
direction, something that should have been considered many years
ago when the LORAN and day/night time form of restrictions were
finally removed and the entire band opened back up for usage.

As to the recent DX contests ... some folks DID follow the new band
plan ... some (and who also lost my respect) did NOT follow the
new guidelines, and most of them should have known better.

As to the recent NAQP ... I give those guys a bit more mercy as
for many of them, they never operate 160m, other than the NAQP
and was pleased that many DID follow the suggested guidelines.

I still think there will be, for some time, and even when/with the rule
changes ... a period of "education", not bashing them down, to help
everyone understand the final changes and so modify their habits.

While I still see some possible future issues (like RTTY on 1829),
I think this step represents improvement in the right direction, and
hope that the transition will be done in a manner befitting 160m to
continue to be known as "The Gentleman's Band" or Top Band ...

73 Billy AA4NU