Topband: remarkable night on 160 EU to Wyo

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: remarkable night on 160 EU to Wyo
From: jmaass@columbus.rr.com (Jeff Maass)
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 08:40:18 -0500
The World was on it's ear: I listened to N0AH in Wyoming working
Europe last night, and could hardly hear anything from here in
Central Ohio!

I worked OH1XX (579) at 0434Z, then called IV3PRK with a herd
to no avail at 0500Z (heard W3GH work him, but then Luis wasn't
hearing any of the rest of us). I then listened for spotted stations
until around 0800Z, hearing only bare peeps out of a few. I couldn't
even hear Wolf DF2PY!

The number of EU spots from the West (N0AH in WY, W7LR in
MT, N7JW in UT, K7CA in UT) and Wolf's report of definite skewing
suggest that the signals may have been skirting the aurora zone to
the South - does this make sense?

I suspect yesterday's flare and proton event is to blame. Does the
aurora image shown at http://sec.noaa.gov/pmap/pmapN.html
have a clue? It shows that it covers the top tier of the USA (including
the East Coast and Ohio), but I haven't been following what it normally
looks like, and so have no sense of "baseline".

73,
 Jeff Maass       jmaass@columbus.rr.com     Located near Columbus Ohio
         USPSA # L-1192       NROI/CRO    Amateur Radio K8ND
    Maass' IPSC Resources Page:  http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass
Circleville USPSA/IPSC: http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/pcsiipsc.htm