Topband: VK6 in the ARRL

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: VK6 in the ARRL
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 07:33:10 +0800
G'day,

For those who would like an example of how selective topband openings can
be, in contrast to the 70+ stations worked by Mike VK6HD (some 450 km south
east of me) last night, I worked exactly one - K6SE.

Apart from K6SE, only a handful of stations were heard at VK6VZ, mainly
just barely above the noise level.  Even Tom W8JI was only S5 - 6, which is
a really bad sign.

Many of the stations that Mike was working were totally inaudible at VK6VZ
- on both an inverted vee at 90' and on a full-size Marconi-T 1/4 wave with
a 66' vertical.

Such is the wonder (and frustration) of 160.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ