Topband: Friday 23 November 1045z - 1121z

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Friday 23 November 1045z - 1121z
From: K1ZM@aol.com (by way of Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 12:37:04 +0000
Hi All!

        I thought this was so intesting I'm forwarding it to the reflector.
I also heard W1JZ and W1ZC calling around 1115 UTC so the Northeast clearly
had a good LP opening today.  Last night I mentioned to Ken that the M9.9
flare at 2330 UTC might stir up the ionosphere and it looks like it did!
The thing that is so surprising to me is that Ken was inaudible here on
160, but when he went to 80 he was an honest 599 at 1142 UTC (SSW from
here).  Normally an 80M LP signal that strong results in a 160M signal,
but apparently not today.  Anyway here's Jeff's interesting story...

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

Ken

This is Jeff, K1ZM, operating today from VY2ZMM on Prince Edward Island, in
Atlantic Canada (Zone 5).

I thought I would write to advise that I was copying you SOLID from 1045z -
1121z (my sunrise time 1121z) today on 1905.5.

When I first heard you, you were about 549 - but by 1055z you were almost S8
on my meter here.  You peaked a SOLID 589 at 1103z-1106z and I screamed my
lungs out at you on 1824.

I heard you work JH1BBT and JA7NI and others and I copied them (the JA's) as
well - although not as well as ur signal.

You had absolutely NO LP fading, NO FLUTTER - just a solid BOOMING signal
into the most Eastern reaches imaginable of Zone 5 here in North America.

I spotted you "K4ZW de K1ZM - VY2ZMM calling you nw - ur 589" at about 1107z
in the hopes that you might see my spot and listen for me.

Each and every time you said "QRZ USA/NA" I called my lungs out.

Your pathing into here was straight SOUTHWEST on my 4el full-sized 160M
array - which has 8.5dbd of gain in your direction.

I listened to you on my XMIT antenna and I just could not believe your
signal.  It was OUTRAGEOUS!

I was astonished that you could not hear me in that you were so loud here!

I never got even a QRZ from you (you did go QRZ once when I called, but I
did not think it was for me).

Did you see my spot at about 1108z and did you even hear a DIT from me Ken?

Sorry we did not work Ken - but it was still a ***REAL THRILL*** to hear
Zone 23 coming in here on Prince Edward Island at 589!  A real rush - it
really woke me up this morning!

Unreal signal Ken.

I'll keep listening....

Good hunting.

73 JEFF

K1ZM  operator at VY2ZMM in Zone 5 North America