Topband: JT Report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: JT Report
From: jt1co@mongol.net (JT1CO)
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 03:12:41 +0000
  As most of you know by now, we're QRV on 80 and 160.  Part of yesterday
was spent with JT1CO in the shack and JT1BG and myself at the vertical base
making adjustments.  Only one minor RF burn was encountered.  Something was
lost in the English to Mongolian translation of "stop transmitting."
   We should complete a few minor items on the vertical and then move to
some receive antenna work today.  Even with the vertical, this QTH, 25 km
northwest of the city, is pretty darn quiet.  WX has also been nice and
clear at night.  I hope it stays that way for a bit longer.
   As for operating, I hope to be able to spend more time on the air
especially at sunrise/sunset times for the US.  Not to neglect other parts
of the world, but zone 23 is very difficult especially on the east coast of
the US.  Keep an eye on OH2AQ for our freqs.
   I'll probably stick to 1905.5 unless you have a lot of QRM there.  The
amp is much happier in that part of the band.  Longer term, looks like an
Alpha 87A will be ordered.
   80 meters is a bit of a crap shoot.  There's a lot of random QRM from BY
so be patient.
   One other operating note. I'll be QRV this weekend in CQWW CW on all
bands.  It's not likely that I'll spend much time trying to dig out weak
signals on the low bands.  I am here through local sunrise on 29 November.
I'll give it my best shot and then turn things over to JT1CO.  Chak has been
very gracious in allowing me to play with his new toys while he watches.  I
know he's very anxious to try them also.

73
Ken K4ZW