Topband: Re Topband ;a word from the Master W1BB

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re Topband ;a word from the Master W1BB
From: sebdesn@ecentral.com (Schieving)
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 13:39:51 -0700
>.We have to be careful with models because they treat the earth as
>a homogeneous media, rather that what it really is. I'd rely more on
>actual measurements than models if the wires are close to earth.

Tom,
How do you get meaningful measurements with strong broadcast voltages
present on the antenna???

This is very timely to my situation as I am in the process of putting 600 sq
ft of chicken wire ground screen under my antenna.and then some radials
beyond that.I dont have access to commericial test equipment at this moment,
just an Autek RF1...Using a garden variety VOM in ac Volts scale I read
nearly 20v at the antenna...needless to say the readings from the RF1 are
bogus...
I've modeled it as well as I can, and it looks good, but a real measurement
would be more satisifing. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Bud   W0HG