Topband: Band plan comments

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Band plan comments
From: gabnjb@earthlink.net (Gary Breed)
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:28:55 -0400
Over the past 10-15 years, the FCC has become much more hands-off in many
areas of communications regulation, including cellular, PCS,  broadcasting,
terrestrial microwave and other spectrum users. The philosophy is that the
industry using the bands will be able to respond more quickly to changes in
technology and marketplace forces. Regional or national frequency
coordination and voluntary transmission standards are effectively replacing
direct regulation.

The efforts by the ARRL and interested Topbanders to address interference
issues on 160 with a band plan fits exactly into the FCC's recent approach,
and it will be taken seriously by the FCC.

As has been the case with repeaters on the VHF/UHF bands, when there is any
conflict among operators, I fully expect that those who adhere to the
voluntary band plan will be considered "right" and those who do not will be
considered "wrong."

In my opinion, I think a major contest sponsor like CQ magazine should take
a firm stand regarding this voluntary band plan, since this type of
self-regulation has real clout with the FCC. Support it, reject it, or
propose an alternative -- but don't ignore it.

73, Gary
K9AY