Topband: Beverage orientations

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage orientations
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:23:47 +0100
>Dick, W1ZC said not to worry too much about a north beverage due to
>"Too much auroral zone absorption."

I don't have a True North Beverage, but two that are very close.

One at 342 degrees is awaiting that rare opening to BV, BY, HL or JT. In
fact the one morning last season that we heard an HL, that was the best
antenna. Sometimes the JAs are loudest on this wire.

The other at 25 degrees, in wait for those rare openings to central Asia,
is very useful at times for LA, SM, JW, JX and UA1. This morning, for
example, SM4CAN for a time was two S units louder on the 25-degree wire
than on the 45-degree wire.

Also, I find these near-North Beverages very useful in contests for pulling
out the weak VE stations.

73/Jon AA1K
Delaware