Topband: Working DX on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Working DX on 160
From: ap231@freenet.carleton.ca (Robert Kavanagh)
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 13:51:04 -0400
I find the posting by Denny, K8DO, unduly pessimistic. While he may be
right that a vertical is the best antenna for working DX on 160, it
shouldn't be concluded that other antennas won't work for DX.

I worked 95 countries from my former QTH at VE1AXT using a home made trap
inverted V for 160 and 80 with the apex at about 50 feet. Since moving to
Ottawa I have used an inverted L with a vertical section about 60 feet
high, but located in a gully with the base about 6 feet BELOW ambient
ground level. I have about 25 radials, mostly short. Not exactly the ideal
antenna for 160 DX ! But I've worked well over 100 countries using it.

I do not own an amplifier and use 100 watts at all times.

My point is that even if you live, as I do, on a small city lot, it is
possible to work DX on 160 with very modest antennas and low power. It is
difficult to prevent the RF energy from getting out ! Of course, I have to
work harder to work DX and I can't compete with my 160 friends who have
high power and good antennas. But, that's part of the challenge of 160.

Do not conclude that you will be wasting your time trying to work 160 DX if
you cannot use a vertical and high power !

73 to all,

Bob, VE3OSZ