Topband: Enhanced electron recombination

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Enhanced electron recombination
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 14:19:49 -0400
>      That being the case, a 15%-20% reduction in electron density at
> 125-175 km is not unreasonable as a result from applying the theory to
> the problem of MF propagation across the polar cap at low levels of
> geophysical activity.

While that is interesting and informative, I'm not entirely sure the
path to Mongolia is predictable by looking at the poles. That might
work out on the left coast, but certainly not east of the Mississippi.

In  my experience, we virtually never have propagation over or near
the magnetic poles on long distances. 160 meters often has a
greatly skewed path that is often far away from any grayline and
directly into the middle of the dark area.

For example 9M2AX is almost always west and southwest, and
VU2PAI east. The XZ was always SW in the mornings here and SE
every evening. BQ9P was due west, as were three 9M0 operations.

It seems the longer the distance, the more likely a path skew will
occur.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com