Topband: Internet access via power lines reborn in Europe

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Internet access via power lines reborn in Europe
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 11:34:46 -0400
It would be very good if amateurs in Mannheim, Germany to check
this system out and document the lack of interference! I suspect
the ending statement is not correct, since I can hear computers
using twisted wire networking for over a mile away!

How are they getting away with that with CE regulations, or are
they not enforced for German goods sold and used in Germany???

> In Mannheim, Germany, local power company MVV Energie AG expects to
> connect 3,000 customers to its Internet service by the end of this
> year. RWE Powerline expects to connect 2,000 more before the end of
> the year in its area. MVV and RWE offer customers Internet connections
> at speeds up to 2.5M bps (bits per second). All a user has to do is
> connect a modem to a PC using a LAN or USB (Universal Serial Bus)
> cable and plug the modem into any electrical outlet in the home.
> The systems made by Main.net use
> frequencies between 1MHz and 30MHz to
> send data from the home to the local power
> substation.

> "There are no more technical problems. The
> radiation is under the allowed level, although
> radio amateurs aren't happy with us offering
> the service," said Andreas Preuss, a spokesman for RWE Powerline GmbH,
> which currently offers 400 customers in Essen, Germany, power line
> Internet access using Ascom equipment. Despite the radio operators
> fears, there have been no reports of radio interference, he said.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com