Topband: 160M Short Verticals

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160M Short Verticals
From: k2pc@adelphia.net (Charlie Corp)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:04:50 -0400
Since everyone is talking about Capacitive Loading: I have been using a
vertical,  27.5 foot high with a Cap Hat ( 6 foot Square) and a loading coil
at 22'  up. I have 30, 25' radials.

This has been the best 160m antenna I have had in the last 6 years. I have
tried about 5 different ones, including a base loaded 30' one. I live in an
antenna restricted area, so my choices are limited. I have no receiving
antennas, but hear many Europeans and work some with 100watts. Most of my
activity on 160M is using 5 watts during contests.

I am sold on using Cap Hats and use one ( 12 inch square ) on my mobile
antenna for 80m-17m. 160m is next.

Thanks Mauri and Tom for the info.

Pete, K2PC