Topband: Antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Antennas
From: i4jmy@iol.it (i4jmy@iol.it)
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:39:39 +0200

> Hi Mario,
>
> I'm nearly out of time for this, but I'd hate to see anyone sell an
> idea that has merit short.
>
> > Obviously, with a radiator that's shorter than 50 ft problems get
even
> > more evident
>
> While no one can dispute long hat wires near ground are a
> problem, we should not neglect comparing a vertical with a sloped
> hat to with NO HAT, to see if the hat is a help.
>
> We are after the very best we can do, not perfection in one number.

Hi Tom,

I think You missed the point that's not if an hat is or not a smart
As much as a vertical is getting shorter and the capacitive hat larger
and closer to the ground, the wires that compose it should better avoid
to slope downward with a big inclination, beeing the best when they are
parallel or anyway slightly sloped.
Why one should arrange a 50 ft top loaded vertical with 7 Ohm Rr (45
deg slope wires) when ony halving the slope (22.5) nearly increases by
70% the Rr ?
Why, knowing that Rr get worse with shorter verticals one shouldn't
care and avoid the negative effects of an hat wires sloped and brought
close to the ground when it's eventually possible to set them
different ?
Since we are after the very best we can do, why not sharing also what's
good and what's not when playing with capacitive loading ?
After all I think that careing about the best way to apply an idea,
expecially if good, has some merit and the opposite hasn't great.

73,
Mauri I4JMY