Topband: Mongolia Trip Report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Mongolia Trip Report
From: K4ZW@Staffnet.com (Ken Claerbout)
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 00:51:31 -0000
  I received word today that the Titanex vertical will arrive in Ulaanbaator
on August 28.  That was welcome news given that I spent a lot of time
working with Titanex to modify the antenna so that it could be sent via air
freight.  It also took a bit of doing to get it on MIAT (Mongolian
International Air Transport).
   I've been slowly pulling together supplies for receive antennas and other
typical items.  I'm building a field deployable pennant antenna and also
will be taking supplies for Beverages.
   I sense there may be a little head scratching over the timing of this
trip.  The main goal, is to equip JT1CO with improved lowband transmit and
receive antennas.  This is more of a working DXpedition than it is an
operating one.  At this stage, we'll already be facing freezing or close to
freeze temperatures in the evening.  I wanted to make sure we had some
semi-decent weather so that we can take our time and install all of this
right the first time.  I will certainly make every attempt to work what I
can on the lowbands during my stay.  My hope is that the big payoff will
come later in the year for many who need JT for a new country and/or zone.
I have no doubt that Chak will put all of this to very good use as
conditions improve.
   Assuming I have access to the Internet, I've set up a Hotmail account.
The address is JT1FZW@Hotmail.com.  I'll also use it to update the topband
reflector as things progress.  Again we'll be in Ulaanbaator September 19 -
28.
   Finally, I'm still accepting donations to be used to help support the
purchase of the antennas.  If you feel so inclined to throw a couple of
bucks in the hat, you may send it to the address below.

73
Ken

Ken Claerbout  K4ZW
10 Clover Hill Dr.