Topband: Initial Beverage Results

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Initial Beverage Results
From: tombaugh@discoverynet.com (Tom Baugh AE9B)
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 19:55:47 -0500
Gentlemen,

I had the opportunity to try my 1st attempt at a beverage antenna with only
subjective results to report.

The antenna 580' long terminated at 85 degrees runs almost parallel to an
underground power line (probably 220V). I have a Lance Johnson ECP setup
including preamp. The beverage is average 3-5 feet above ground sloping
slightly to the east. I used 17 Ga galvanized fence wire ($9 per 1/4 mile)
and temporarily RG8/U which I will later use for the phased verticals will
be replaced with RG-6 or RG-11 as recommended for a variety of reasons
(thanks Howard).

Since this is my first attempt and I was somewhat anxious to hear from a
beverage for the first time ever. Also had recommendations from several
people including AX0B and N0XA to get the antenna out now so there will be
time to make changes later. My first audible signals on 160 were W8JI and
J3/??? (off the side?) and DF2PY. I don't have an adequate DX transmit
antenna up yet (only a low dipole) but hearing is believing. Signals were
clearly evident with almost no other noise existing. I'm sure this will be a
new and wonderful experience. The thrill of the hunt for a new ham.

I briefly entered the NAQP contest and made 52 contacts 160M North America
(in addition to others) during a relatively good North American Storm on 100
watts CW. The amazing thing to me was how absolutley quiet things were. I
never put the preamp in as it raised the noise along with the signal. Lee,
K0LW had mentioned to me that signals would be audible at S-nothing which I
could not comprehend especially on the low bands prior to my weekends
experience. The signals were clearly there as my 160M total was in the top
bracket of scores in NA.

Thanks to all who have helped so far... There will no doubt be more
questions from the new guy.

Tom Baugh
AE9B