Topband: Top Fed Vertical

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Top Fed Vertical
From: NX4D@mpinet.net (Doug Waller)
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 23:06:59 -0400
Gentlemen:

I need some advice on a project I now have time to undertake.  Some good =
info at this point could save a lot of tower cranking. (including =
"forget it.....no free lunch", hi)

Presently I have a 60 ft tower with beam & use a sloper wire along with =
loaded, elevated radials for effective 160m work.  Growing trees are =
forcing removal of the sloper wire, so am looking for another way to =
top-feed my tower.  I like top feeding because the current is higher =
above ground.  This gives a better shot over high, thick trees & I =
understand that the further away from ground the current/radiation is, =
the less loss to ground I will have, not having a good ground screen.  =
(The tower is mounted on the side of the house w/ half-acre lot.)

Per the GAP patent, a .68 X 1/4 WL length of coax coiled & shorted on =
the far end , will provide a near lossless, non-radiating element for =
the RF to push against.  The bottom half of the antenna would then be =
the top loaded tower plus a set of four elevated radials, with lengths =
adjusted for resonance.

Will the beam, working as a capacity hat, function correctly, connected =
to the mast & tower only a few feet below the feedpoint?  Any advice on =
this proposed setup will be appreciated.  I realize this is eccentric, =
but experimenting with space-restricted 160m antennas has become =
fascinating to me!

73, Doug / Nx4d / nr Orlando, FLa