Topband: "Low visibility" antenna wire and support material

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: "Low visibility" antenna wire and support material
From: kiddi@marel.is (Kristinn Andersen)
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 13:21:00 +0000
Hi:

I am looking for advice on antenna wire and support (strings/ropes)
materials that have "low visual profile".

1.  What color or surface properties are considered to be most neutral
against typical environment backgrounds?  I've seen references stating that
black blends best in, but I disagree.  In my case the sky would be the
dominating background and in that case I believe white is the color that
would make wires and strings least visible during the daytime.

2.  Assuming that white is the color of choice for wires and strings, does
anyone have suggestions for good sources?  Regarding wires, I believe the
ideal wire would be hard drawn copper (stranded?), coated with relatively
thin layer of insulating white material.  I have seen thin copper wires
(not suited for antennas) coated with a thin "skin" of teflon - I wonder if
something similar is available for antenna wire?

3.  Any suggestions for strong, relatively thin, white, material for wire
antenna support of mast guying?

73 - Kristinn, TF3KX