Topband: article: Phasing Improves Kaz Antenna Nulls

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: article: Phasing Improves Kaz Antenna Nulls
From: MarkWA1ION@excite.com (Mark Connelly)
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 20:18:13 -0700 (PDT)
Phasing Improves Kaz Antenna Nulls
(Mark Connelly, WA1ION - 10 JUL 2001)

The "Kaz" antenna was introduced by John Bryant's article "Testing Two 'Kaz'
Squashed Delta Antennas" (reference 1).  Further test results were presented
in my article "Pennant and Kaz Antenna Tests" (reference 2).  The antenna
has the form of a delta with the apex spaced above the center of the
horizontal base at a distance of 1/4 to 1/3 the length of the base.  Base
height above ground can be as little as 0.3 m / 1 ft., though I find
improved performance at 1.5 m or higher.  The top wire (forming the two
sloping sides) is one conductor and the base wire is a second conductor.
Feeding and/or termination occurs at the pair of wires on each end of the
base at the point of approach of the upper conductor.

This article describes how the nulling abilities of the Kaz antenna can be
enhanced by having combination feed and termination boxes installed at each
end of the antenna.  The two coaxial feedlines are presented to inputs of a
phasing unit.

For HTML version of the article, go to
http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/kaz/phased_kaz.htm
It contains hyperlinks and some additional material.