Topband: Chokes - ferrite vs air

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Chokes - ferrite vs air
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:43:04 +0100
ON/G4iFB:
>air-core chokes work OK on 160?  How many turns & what diameter work best??

I use air-wound chokes on various feedlines and control cables going up my
insulated, series-fed 160-meter vertical (Rohn 25 tower). These chokes are
right at the base of the tower and keep the tower "above ground" for 160.
They are wound on 6-inch diameter PVC, using about 75-100 turns of coax or
hardline or rotor control cable.

Without these chokes, all the feedlines going up the tower would
effectively make it a grounded tower. With the chokes, it is like the
feedlines aren't even there and works just like a series-fed tower should.

I got this idea from W8JI, who showed his chokes in some slides when he
gave a talk at the Dayton antenna forum a few years ago.

73/Jon AA1K
Felton, Delaware