Topband: Feed Line

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Feed Line
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:07:31 -0400
> have not seen it's use discussed or in print.  Is there something
> inherently wrong or difficult (besides the physical) with trying to feed a
> vertical with ladder line?  I think it would be ideal for an elevated
> radial system.

Of course we all know there are impedance transformation
problems you might run into. A 30 ohm antenna through 1/4 wl of
450 ohm line would be 6750 ohms at the tuner end of things. Most
tuners are problem enough on 160, and you certainly wouldn't want
to use anything near 1/4 wl of line to feed a 1/4 wl marconi like an
inverted L.

The other problem is the balanced feedline will radiate when used
to feed an unbalanced load, like a marconi antenna. To prevent
feedline radiation, you'd have to install a balun at the antenna as
well as use a balanced tuner (or tuner with a balun)...so you need
two baluns.

The radiation from the feedline can be quite problematic under
some conditions of feedline length and grounding. With low power,
and if the feedline is well-away from noise sources or consumer
devices you might get away with letting it radiate, but it is probably
not a good idea overall.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com