Topband: Silver solder

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Silver solder
From: kimba@sprint.ca (Bert Barry)
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 11:02:51 -0400
I need to solder some on-ground radials, and I understand silver solder is more
resistant to corrosion by the elements.  I understand there are two broad
classes of silver solder; the low-temperature alloys with melting
temperatures in the range of 200 deg.C (400 deg. in the old scale), and the
high temperature ones melting around 700 deg.C (1250 deg.F) and up.  The
former contain 2 to 4 percent silver, and are sometimes called
"silver-bearing" solders (?), and the former contain 40 percent silver and up.

Are the low-silver alloys adequate, or is it necessary to go to the high-silver
content ones?  Any and all comments would be welcome.

Bert,  VE3QAA