Topband: low angle, high angle

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: low angle, high angle
From: k9la@gte.net (Carl K9LA)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 06:42:23 -0500
With respect to KL7Y's comments on propagation characteristics with the
OTH radar, I think we need to be careful here.  Earlier Dan said that
the radar only went down to 4MHz or so (correct me if I'm wrong, Dan).

Extrapolating 4MHz and higher propagation characteristics down to 160m
should be done with caution, as the Earth's magnetic field doesn't
affect absorption and refraction and polarization on those frequencies
as it does when we approach frequencies near the electron gyro
frequency.  Lots of interesting stuff happens.

Dan's observations are very interesting, but are really for 4MHz and
above.  Too bad it didn't go down to 1.8MHz.

Carl K9LA