Topband: Wet Coax...

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Wet Coax...
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 18:10:02 -0500
A couple of weeks ago, the snow finally started to disappear and the rains
came.  A field drain was either frozen or plugged and the 160 tower flooded
into a 18" deep swamp.

The feedline for the shunt feed is RG-213.  I used liberal amounts of
tar-like cable dress.

The field drain finally cleared itself and drained the field.  I would guess
that the feedline was submerged for about 3 to 4 days.  No change in SWR is
noted so far.  It that the only indication of a coax failure?  I'm worried
it would have been ruined by the water.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com