Topband: Measuring ground conductivity

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Measuring ground conductivity
From: 4x4nj@iname.com (R. Kline)
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 04:38:59 +0100
Without realizing that the technique was something special, I've used a
similar method.
Using a GR 1606-B RF Bridge, I've compared the measured imput impedance with
that
given by NEC 2.  Then I tweaked the ground parameters until I got
approximately the same numbers that the bridge gave. After this, I used the
corrected parameters for doing all the
following NEC calculations.  When I was done, I made the changes in the
antenna, and remeasured with the bridge.  The results were very close to
those predicted by NEC.
It should be noted that this antenna was not resonant.  Resonance is not
necessary for this
technique.
73,
Riki, 4X4NJ