Topband: Topband impossible from this QTH ?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Topband impossible from this QTH ?
From: sentek@sprintmail.com (Floyd Sense)
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 09:45:28 -0500
I'll address only the antenna, you'll have to come up with the ground
system.  For a number of years, I used a 36 foot freestanding top/bottom
loaded vertical on 160 with great success.  The antenna appeared in QST back
in the mid to late 70s, and the article was called "The Minooka Special" as
I recall.  The first 20 feet of my antenna was a 2" diameter aluminum boom
(two sections joined) from an old monobander.  The next 12 feet was a 12'
section of 1 1/2 inch aluminum.  That was topped by a large close wound coil
of small gauge enameled copper (magnet wire).  The article has details on
the coil - I don't recall the inductance value.  Above that, was a 3 to 4
foot section consisting of an element from an old TV antenna.  The antenna
was mounted on a length of 1 1/2" water pipe, cemented into the ground.  At
the base, a  loading coil went from the antenna to the ground system, and
the coax feedline was simply tapped up the coil from ground to the point
where a good match was obtained.  The bandwidth was rather sharp.  I used 30
or so radials, none of which was longer than 35 feet.  I was able to work 49
states with this antenna on 160 CW, and won my section one year in the ARRL
160 contest.  I couldn't compete in pileups with folks with good antennas
and ground systems, but it certainly exceeded my expectations.  Check out
the article and give it a try.  The cost is very low.

K8AC