Topband: "T" or Inverted L?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: "T" or Inverted L?
From: ae5x@juno.com (John AE5X)
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 10:53:41 -0500
Good morning,

In narrowing my choices of a 160m antenna, I've come to the conclusion
that I only have room for either an Inverted L or a "T". ON4UN's book
says that the inverted L radiates a high angle RF component due to the
(relatively) low-to-the-ground horizontal section and that in the "T",
the horizontal component is cancelled due to the symmetry of horizontal
sections on each side of the vertical section.

Am I right in assuming that since the top part of the T does not radiate
that the vertical section of the T needs to be longer than the vertical
section of an Inverted L for a given freq? If so, which is the preferred
antenna (for DX) with a maximum vertical section of 60 feet?

And how do you calculate the length of the top section (of a T) for a
given vertical dimension?

Thanks for any info for a soon-to-be Topband "novice".
73,

John Harper AE5X
Outdoor QRP & 80m DXing: http://www.qsl.net/ae5x