Topband: top loading or L?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: top loading or L?
From: carr.n@runshaw.ac.uk (Neil Carr)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:02:14 -0000
I have a 10m square plot of land and want to get on 160!
Fortunately I back onto some land which is a few hundred metres from a
river, solid clay and nearly always flooded (in the winter time at least),
I have dug up my back yard and run 10m x 10m of chicken wire under what is
now a new patio, I have a copper pipe drilled 8 feet in the ground, from
this base I have 1km of wire down, divided between about 60 radials, a
couple going all the way to the river, Im hoping my efforts with a ground
system will help me achieve  some sort of radiation that isn't straight up,
from a very short vertical on 160.
I'd like to hear from anyone who has used the MFJ 1792 80m top loaded
vertical on 160m. This is an antenna I have in store but never used, should
I ......

(1) play around with this 35ft vertical and try to load down the
coil/top-hat for 160 with much larger spokes etc.
(2) forget it and go for a 150ft +/- inverted L, (there is one tree near the
river I could use, but its not so high) which Im told will be a bit easier
to match than a 1/4 wave and also raise the max. point of radiation half way
up my vertical section bearing in mind the horizontal will only be 35-30ft
above the ground.   OR
(3) Forget 160m until I move!

Any advice appreciated.
Neil G0JHC.