Topband: 120 meter band broadcast stations

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 120 meter band broadcast stations
From: n2cbu@arrl.net (N2CBU)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 00:23:51 -0500
Coincident to the good propagation reported via this list, there has been
very good propagation in the lower frequency shortwave bands.  So far,
tonight seems to be particularly good on the 60 meter SW band.  Another
barometer is WWV at 2.5 and 5 MHz and so far the signals are very strong
and stable.

It's a little early for the Africans but a couple of frequencies to watch
are 4845 after 0630z and 4915 after 0530z.  These are Radio Mauritania and
Ghana's GBC-1 respectively.  I made a recording of Radio Mauritania on
Monday morning:

http://www.geocities.com/n2cbu/Misc/RadioMauritania.mp3

Right now I'm listening to Guatemala on 3300 kHz with a strong signal and
there's plenty of South and Central American signals on the 60 meter band
audible here in NYC at 0515z.

Unfortunately I don't have the space for a real antenna so until I'm ready
to relocate from my townhouse to a suitable piece of property I'm making do
with an unshielded loop for receiving.  I'll just have to be a glorified
SWL for now.

A good site to visit frequently is the near-real-time MUF map, and it shows
just why the propagation has been so good lately:

http://solar.uleth.ca/solar/realtime.html

Y'all have fun!!

73,
Andrew